In response to the feedback from surveys and conversations with community members, parents and staff, a Strategic Plan was completed by AOS # 47. The following Communication Plan and strategies for parents, faculty and staff has been developed and will be implemented for the Dedham and Orrington schools beginning on September 1, 2013.
Objective #1 Communication Plan
- Teacher websites (including Art, Music, PE, Foreign Language and Computer) must be updated by the FIRST of every month. Websites should include long term projects with due dates, up to date postings of what’s happening or upcoming events in your classroom, classroom schedules (Dedham) and any other pertinent information pertaining to your classroom.
- School E-mail must be checked at least twice a day (AM & PM) and responded to within 24 hours except for weekends and vacations.
- Phone messages must be checked once a day and a response made within 24 hours except for weekends and vacations.
- Any written communication(i.e.: field trip info, change of schedule, special event)) to parents must be previewed and approved by administration 24 hours prior to it being sent home.
- Staff will check their “snail mail” boxes once a day.
- Staff will check Google Calendar (Dedham) or daily email announcement (Orrington) for upcoming events.
- If you wish a response to your email please indicate that in your communication.
- Maintain up to date grades posted on Web to School (Orrington) MMS (Dedham)
- If a teacher has a concern regarding a child (academic or behavioral) contact with the parent needs to be made.
- Communications regarding positive experiences with children need to be made with parents.
- Administration will provide written communication, to staff, of changes or upcoming events via email.
- Any written communication, by teachers to parents, will be previewed and approved by administration and returned to staff within 24 hours of receipt.
- Phone messages will be checked at least once a day and a response made within 24 hours except for weekends and vacations.
- Administration will communicate upcoming events via Google Calendar (Dedham) or via email announcement (Orrington).
- School e-mail will be checked at least twice a day (AM & PM) and responded to within 24 hours except for weekends and vacations.
- Administration will be responsible for making sure daily updates are communicated to staff.
- If administration wants a response to an email it will be indicated in our communication.
- With the exceptions to an emergency, phone or email messages will be responded to within 24 hours except on weekends and vacations. If no response is received, send a second email and cc the building administrator.
- When a concern or question arises regarding your child, first communicate with the teacher via email or phone call.
- If you need to meet personally with a teacher please schedule a time to meet which is mutually agreeable.
- Parents are responsible for checking the modes of communication listed in Objective #2.
- Parents are responsible for providing the school with up to date contact information or any significant changes which could impact the student.
- Parents need to contact the school when children are going to be absent or tardy.
Objective # 2 Vehicles of Communication
The following vehicles of communication between Dedham School/ Center Drive School (AOS # 47) and parents may be one or more of the following:
- School Website and teacher webpages
- Newsletter (electronic and paper)
- School/Home Communication Folders and or assignment books
- IRIS (for emergency or storm day cancellation only)
Parents are responsible for checking the above vehicles of communication to stay informed.
Objective # 3 Communication Implementation Processes
In the event that a parent has a concern regarding the communication expectations the chain of command is as follows:
- Contact the teacher
- Contact the building Principal or Assistant
- Contact the Superintendent of Schools
- Contact the school committee
A data sheet will be developed to maintain feedback on review of communication plan and will be reviewed monthly by A-team. Progress will be shared with staff and school committees.
COMMUNICATION procedure for sports at cds
Both parenting and coaching are extremely difficult roles. It is important that communication expectations are established to avoid miscommunication and have a successful athletic season.
Communication and responsibilities you can expect from a coach representing cds:
- The expectations the coach has for your student athlete, as well as the athletes on the team
- The sport philosophy of Center Drive
- Locations and times of all practices and events, along with communication if/when the practice/event needs to be cancelled. Please be aware that schedule changes can happen that are beyond the coach’s control.
- Procedure followed should your child be injured during a practice/game.
Communication and responsibilities you can expect from a parent representing CDS:
- Be an informed parent, reading all information presented to you including schedules, updates, website, etc. Please recognize that schedules are subject to change.
- Bring your concerns forward in a timely manner.
Appropriate concerns to discuss with coaches representing CDS:
- Situations involving your child
- Ways to help your child improve
- Your child’s attitude, work ethic and eligibility
- Concerns about your child’s behavior
- When you have a concern, give the coach the opportunity to hear and respond to your concern.
If you have a concern, please follow the procedures listed below:
- Your child should speak to the coach about an issue, before you intervene. This will help your student-athlete grow into young adults.
- Contact the coach to set up an appointment. Do not try to contact the coach before or after a game, these are times when the coach is to be focused on their athletes. If you question the appropriateness of contacting the coach, contact the building administrator, either the Principal or Assistant Principal, they will help to guide you to the appropriate path for resolution.
- If after meeting with the coach, you still have concerns or unresolved issues, the following steps need to take place:
- Call to schedule an appointment with the building administrator, either the principal or assistant principal, to discuss the situation. At this meeting your concern can be discussed and documented.
- After hearing the concern, principal or assistant principal will investigate. At the conclusion of the investigation an administrator will determine an appropriate measure and inform the parents of the results of the investigation.
- An administrator will provide a written summary of the results of the investigation. This summary will be discussed with the parent and a copy of the summary will be provided to the parent and the coach. A copy of the summary will be put in the personnel file of the coach, regardless of the outcome. Additional meetings will be held at the discretion of the administration.
If after meeting with the building administrator and receiving the summary results, you continue to have concerns, you may contact the superintendent of schools.